As much as music is the food for the soul, it is needless to say bad food only causes more damage than not eating. An equalizer in sound production simply helps to create good music.
What makes a balanced car audio system is undistorted, crisp and filtering sound of which every music parts is fairly represented by the best equalizer for car audio.
There is the tendency for one to forget the number of kilometres he had covered or still need to cover when embarking on a long trip if the right type of music is being played with the proper frequency while driving.
There are several equalizers in the market, but not all of them have the same sound quality. For example, the DBX 231s Dual Channel 15-Band Car Audio Equalizer (Editor’s Choice) has a Variety of sound frequency selections available but has problems with sound integrity. Others have high sound quality with distortion but fail in other qualities. For example, the Clarion MCD-360 2/3 Way 6-Channel EqualizerClarion MCD-360 2/3 Way 6-Channel Equalizer supports cleaner bass output but doesn’t have a remote control. This makes it harder to control but doesn’t remove it from the list of one of the best car audio equalizers in the market. You should consider several factors including price and your personal preference when making your choice.
Simply agreed to, the combination of good engine that gives no problem on the road with the right ambiance within the car is what makes a safe trip, all things being equal. Yet, the market is filled with different music devices that will make the ride a fun one, in between are the series of equalizers in the market.
There are some equalizers that works perfectly well with multimedia devices such as the Bluetooth, USB, iPad, iPhone and even smartphone. Some also pair conveniently with SD cards to deliver maximum sound production for your on road enjoyment.
Part of what can make your journey fantastic each day while you seat behind the wheel, we believe, is a working and perfect car stereo equalizer some best of which we arranged and analyzed here for you to make a good buying choice.
GET EPIC DEALS ON AMAZON TODAY. UP TO 40% OFF.
1. DBX 231s Dual Channel 15-Band Car Audio Equalizer (Editor’s Choice)
From its extended frequency response to dynamic range, to the quality and attention to detail, the 231s offers exceptional sound and rugged reliability.
You are sure to find a home studio in your car with this presence of this device. With such affordable quality, there is no longer any excuse for compromising your sound quality anytime anywhere.
DBX 231s dual channel 15-band equalizer is produced by Harman group of sound companies, built in dual channel with 15-band, 3-octaave constant Q frequency and switchable boost and cut ranges of 6 to 12dB.
Designed alongside is a front panel bypass switch, 4-segment LED ladders for output levels monitoring and 12dB input gain range. For someone with professional experience in sound management, dbx equalizer has always being their best choice
because of its specially engineered 2/3 octave equalization, ±12 dB input gain, switchable ±6 dB or ±12 dB boost, cut range, 20mm non conductive sliders, an intuitive user interface and output level metering.
With the dB heritage of revered Pro EQs, the 213s meets the needs of most demanding sound reinforcement environments, while offering the simplicity of straightforward controls.
And with installed sound venues, the dB 213s is destined to take its rightful place in the lineage of great dB signal processors that are the professional’s choice in signal processing.
- Delivers great sound quality
- Variety of sound frequency selection available
- Switchable boost and cut ranges for easy operation
- Has 4-segment LED ladders for output levels monitoring
- Comes with 12dB input gain range for output power support
- Sometimes, its sound integrity is compromised
2. Clarion MCD-360 2/3 Way 6-Channel Equalizer
This equalizer is a game changer if you are looking for sound quality over loud garbage that will make your entire setup sound like a concert hall with crisp highs, no white noise and with zero distortion.
Clarion MCD360 is a 3-Way 6-Channel input Electronic Crossover that comes with 5volt RCA output (for front and rear subs) and additional subwoofer equalizer boost level controls. Not too heavy and takes little space for installation just 10x7x2.5 inches in dimension.
- Its performance is greater than the priced value
- Delivers crisp highs with zero level distortion
- Greatly adjustable and adaptable to your taste and preference
- This device supports stronger and cleaner bass output the more
- It pumps out less low-end midrange with balanced overall output
- Does not come with a wireless remote
- No detailed direction on the crossover knob as to frequency levels to set
3. Sound Storm Lab S4EQ 4-Band Pre-Amp Car Equalizer
Sound Storm Labs S4EQ 4 Band Pre-amplifier Car Equalizer comes with detachable digital AM/FM receiver and engineered with gold-plated front, rear and subwoofer outputs. It is one of the most valuable and highly sought-after products from Sound Storm Laboratories.
Furthermore, this affordable equalizer features distinctly with variable subwoofer filter, dual color illumination, subwoofer level control, master volume control, switchable phase selector, fader control, 2 source input, input selector and many more.
This device is loaded in pre-amp output of 7volts and equalizer band center frequencies of 40Hz, 150Hz, 1KHz and 20KHz. Multimedia devices compliant as you can use with your Bluetooth, iPad and connect to USB for hands-free operation, easy usability and fantastic performance.
- Sounds VERY good.
- Adequately powered
- Comes with a perfect display, not too dim during the day.
- Comes in gold-plated front and rear panels
- Engineered in four range frequencies to deliver adequately
- Compatible with USB, iPad, Bluetooth and other devices
- Buttons and volume knob feel cheap and too fragile; may break unexpectedly.
- Comes with a delicate and precarious faceplate
- Its buttons are too bright and very distracting at night
- The hands-free functionality is unusable
4. Audio Pipe 9-Band Parametric Car Audio Equalizer
Audio pipe 9-band parametric equalizer is engineered with switchable auxiliary input for connecting both satellite receiver and iPad for powerful output performance. Although it does not come with a power switch, but this can be rectified with an external switch constructed to the “remote” middle terminal.
Pipe 9-band parametric is a 9volts line driver car radio equalizer constructed with a nickel-plated locking adjustable knob. It comes with adjustable subwoofer frequency of 60Hz by 90Hz and a universal half-din chassis.
An active pre-amplifiers device with adjustable input sensitivity fitted with individual left and right sensitivity controls for auxiliary input, built with 20dB headroom output and level controls as well as subwoofer output and level controls with wireless display.
This powerful car audio equalizer has gold-plated RCA input connectors, three stereo RCA outputs and main/auxiliary input selector. It comes handy in 9×7.6×1.9 inches dimension at a weight of 1.81 pounds.
- Comes with gold-plated RCA input connectors
- Built with 20dB headroom output
- Comes handy, slim and light-weight
- Engineered with powerful and capable crossover
- Easy to install in most SUVs and Jeeps
- Switchable aux input for connecting both satellite receiver and iPad.
- Comes with separate sensitivity controls for each side speaker
- Delivers great performance in Jeeps, SUVs and caravans
- Frequency output that deliver quality sounds
- Fixed with a nickel-plated locking adjustable knob
- Higher in price with lower crossover capability compared with others e.g. Rockville R7EQ model
- Does not come with a power switch
- Paired with a substandard fuse
5. American Bass High-end 7-Band Voltage Display Equalizer
American Bass High End Band Equalizer, Voltage Display is a parametric Pre-Amplifier equalizer with digital display. It is specifically engineered to work perfectly with American bass amplifier for unparalleled performance.
Built with maximum Output Voltage of 7V RMS, pre-graphic frequency of 50Hz, 125Hz, 315hz, 750Hz, 2.2KHz, 6KHz and 12KHz, equalization range of +- 12dB and Subwoofer frequency of between 30Hz-300Hz.
The input impedance is out at 15K Ohms with 90dB S/N ratio, .05% THD, 70dB channel separation and between 10Hz – 50KHz frequency response.
- Paired with pre-amp to boost the power supply
- LCD voltage display for close monitoring
- The knobs display the frequency to show accuracy and decisiveness
- Comes with very clear sound quality in ‘mids’ and ‘highs’
- Its connector is weak as power supply is greatly inadequate
6. Power Acoustik PMW-16 Car Radio Equalizer
This is another great product from Power Acoustic. Does exactly what it says, control your low, mid and high range output and comes with great bass and frequency control to deliver quality sound and selectively crisp performance.
This device comes with only 2 channels but it works like 6 channels with its powerful sound production. The price at which it comes is relatively affordable compared to competing brands and it is supported by 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Power Acoustik PWM-16 Pre-amplifier equalizer comes with Gain control and 4-way fader. It is lightweight and handy as it weighs 1.75kilograms and comes in 8.75×7.75x2inches dimension.
Power Acoustik PMW-16 is made of metal knobs and only with the power connection wire which is not attached directly to the equalizer like older units.
- Delivers crisp low, mid and high range output
- Affordable price and for the quality it portrays
- It Is handy, slim and easy to install.
- Comes with 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- The battery is not powerful enough
7. DBX 1215 Dual Channel 15-Band Graphic Amplifier
The dbx 1215 dual-channel is a 15-band graphic equalizer with switchable boost and cut ranges of 6 to 15dB. Equipped with electronically balanced and unbalanced inputs while its RF filters both input and output production.
The dbx 1215 Series were designed to meet the needs of the most demanding sound reinforcement environments, while offering the simplicity of straightforward controls.
Also, it balances the sound inputs and outputs for quiet operation with its chassis/signal ground lift capabilities empowering the quick hum isolation.
The visionary design of the dbx 12 Series makes your job easier and your car audio system enjoyable plus you get 1-year manufacturer’s warranty after purchase.
Furthermore, the device provides standard features like dual channels, 15 2-3 octave bands, ISO frequency centers, +/-12 dB input gain range, and switchable 40Hz/18 dB per octave low-cut filters.
Other remarkable features include 45 mm faders; selectable +/-6dB or +/-15dB boost or cut range for precise gain adjustments; XLR, barrier strip, and ¼” TRS connectors for easy installation.
- Delivers fine quality sturdiness and performance ability
- Fantastic sound production
- Installed with selectable boost and cut range for precise gain adjustments
- Balanced XLR connection
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Packaged with ¼” TRS connectors for easy installation
- Chassis/signal ground lift capabilities help to isolate humming
- The low cut and small/large ability sliders button can recess unwarrantedly
8. Planet Audio Half DIN Band Equalizer
The Planet Audio equalizer is a high-fidelity signal processor/preamplifier that allows you to control the relative levels within the audible frequency spectrum.
Furthermore, you can freely adjust its controls to suit your taste and listening environment with its gain control that adds flexibility to your bottom end and clarity to your audio system sound production. Each center frequency can be adjusted +/- 12 dB as desired.
This device is engineered with boost and cut controls representing a range of frequencies surrounding a center frequency to cover the audio spectrum from subwoofer frequencies to treble frequencies.
Planet audio half-DIN, band car equalizer, subwoofer output comes with adjustable filter and four fixed bands of high, mid, low and sub as well as night illumination device.
Also, there are distinctive features such as input sensitivity adjustment, Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) power supply, 12dB of boost and cut adjustment, adjustable subwoofer crossover, auxiliary output, master volume control, fader control and subwoofer level.
- Comes with front panel control
- Built with master volume control for overall volume control and adjustment
- Fader control for balancing sound level between front and rear speakers.
- Delivers the best bass enhancement.
- Auxiliary input selector button permits you to select the equalizer input source
- Features separate rear RCA inputs for CD/DVD players and your choice of an AUX input
- Subwoofer gain control permits increase or decrease of output level of the channels.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Adjusting the knob to suit your preference could deliver imbalance result
- EQ center frequencies: 75Hz – 200Hz – 2kHz – 20kHz
- Equalization range: +/- 18 dB (boost/cut)
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Subwoofer crossover frequency: Variable 45 – 180Hz
- Signal to noise ratio: 105 dB
- THD: 0.05%
- Subwoofer channel THD: 0.05%
- Channel separation: 60 dB
- Low Level Input Voltage: 0.5 V
- Power supply: 10-16V negative ground
- Output voltage: 7V RMS
9. Clarion EQS755 7-Band Car Audio Equalizer
Clarion EQS755 7-band car audio graphic equalizer is equipped with front 3.5mm auxiliary Input, rear RCA auxiliary input and high-level speaker inputs.
The EQS755 is 1/2-DIN chassis Graphic equalizer with in-built low-pass filter and fully equipped with 7-band graphic equalizer to deliver superior control over the audio spectrum.
Its frequency adjustments are within the range of 50 Hz to 16 kHz over seven bands. This gives you the power to get the most of your sound system and the ability to contour the sound output to your musical taste.
- Engineered with 6-Channel
- An excellent and affordable product with premium build quality
- Comes with 8-Volt RCA Outputs (Front, Rear, and Subwoofer)
- Carries blue Illumination display
- Comes with an independent master volume and Subwoofer level and Fader Control
- Engineered to deliver with 3.5mm front AUX Input
- 2-Channel RCA AUX Input with Variable Gain Adjustment
- Selectable 12dB Low-Pass Filter (60Hz or 90Hz)
- Will not work well except it is paired with its own dedicated ground wiring
- May require additional line-out converter for those who would like to add or reinstall their audio equipment into a newer vehicle and keep the factory stereo or navigation unit in place
10. Audio Control Three 2-In-Dash Car Stereo Equalizer
Audio control three 2 in-dash pre-amp equalizer and subwoofer crossover is packaged with dual auxiliary inputs, 2 input channels and 2, 4 or 6 channels of output. Equipped with a compact ½” DIN chassis, as well as stereo and para-BASS equalization controls.
Its on-board pre-amp line driver delivers up to 13 volts peak master volume control and fader Selectable illumination which features cool-blue or hot-red LEDs.
- Delivers good bass as well as clearer mids and highs
- Engineered with para-bass equalization control
- Pre-amplifier line driver delivers up to 13volts
- The 40hz sweep is nice, delivering a punchy bass sound in the vehicle
- Built with subwoofer whose crossover is constructed with dual auxiliary inputs
- Has 2 to 6 output channels
- This unit does not play well with Fosgate amplifiers.
- It echoes engine noise on the move
- Unit comes with just one set of inputs, not sufficient for all the enclosed features
- The gain controls are on top of the unit, very far recessed and not the easiest to get a tiny screwdriver in to adjust.
WHAT IS AN EQUALIZER?
It will be far too easy to say that an equalizers function in production of sounds is to equalize sounds, but really that is the primary function of an equalizer but definitely not the only function.
I’m pretty sure to lots of people, I have simply begged the question by saying the function of an audio equalizer is to equalize sounds, so what does the ambiguous term equalization really mean?
Equalization is simply the procedure of creating, regulating and modifying balance between frequency modules in an electronic signal or wave. In this particular case which happens to be the most common usage is the equalization of sound waves.
An equalizer is simply the device that helps to attain the equalization process. It does this by aiding or abating the energy of certain frequency bands to acquire the desired sound production. Read more about Equalizer in our article where we revealed all there is to know.
How to tune the audio settings sound and equalizer on your car stereo
WHY YOU SHOULD GET AN EQUALIZER FOR YOUR CAR
Having known what an equalizer and the process of equalizer does, you may begin to wonder why a ‘rock and roll’ music and a RnB music produce different mood and disposition even when they used same instrument in the production.
It is simply the work of the equalizer to create a balance in sound according to the intended mood of music, hence the difference. In simpler terms, an equalizer helps to adjust majorly amongst other things; the bass and the treble production of a musical piece to enable it deliver the right mood.
It helps you to modify your music by allowing you to determine just your desired level of tones and amplification. Furthermore, helps you to fine tune your music by using audio filter feature as in most cases, there is just little or nothing other sound system devices like speakers can do.
Also, helps in the absorption and elimination of sidetracking unsolicited sounds such as sounds from car engine or other sounds on the road that would ordinarily affect the sound production.
TYPES OF AUDIO EQUALIZERS FOR CARS
As the name implies, an analogue equalizer is simply an equalizers that enables you adjust and filter sounds through the use of knobs and slide potentiometer, the major downside to this type is that you have to in most cases rely on your hearing ability to know when you have attained the just right point, this will require in some cases someone with a high acquaintance with music to prevent errors in balancing of sounds.
Very much like the analogue equalizer with tuning knobs and slide potentiometer except there is a graphic imitation of sound frequencies to enable you have a visually graphical image of alteration of sounds and audio filters done by the control buttons.
As you might have already inferred from the name, digital equalizers substitutes menu display feature for visible buttons and slide potentiometers allowing accurate and exact adjustment of the audio system, plus you get to save several equalization settings to help in quick and easy substitution in cases of varying genres that necessitate diverse settings.
This type of equalizer gives you control over the center frequency and enhancement level. A parametric equalizer allows you to choose between frequencies ranging between 35Hz, 45Hz, 65Hz or 80Hz.
An equalizer booster is capable of performing the function of both an equalizer and an amplifier. As much as they may not be as strong as the regular amplifiers, they are a perfect substitute for it, since it helps saves money and space. In several cases, one of either amplifier or equalizer is just an additional benefit.
FACTORS THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WHEN PURCHASING AN AUDIO EQUALIZER
The price is always a factor to be considered but in most cases, especially in relation to equalizers, the higher the price, the more features you get to enjoy.
So if you are the type that is very much addicted to best, quality and top-notch sounds, the price should not so much be a hindrance to your passion.
Quantity of Band Frequency
In relation to equalizers, the more the merrier is the case when it comes to band frequencies. Usually, the number of slide potentiometers is also the number of band frequencies, so the more slide potentiometers, the more available selection of band frequency.
You might want to consider getting equalizers with several other controls such as power buttons, master volume, AUX inputs, subwoofer volume, Ball n Pull faders, etc.
This feature helps to fine tune output production, this feature is used mainly in mixing and recording sounds, but can also be used if you want to get how the sound was mixed, in which case you must also be good at the tuning or a real sound or audio freak.
SUBWOOFER AND FADER FEATURE
This helps the speakers attached to the sound system to produce just the sounds they were manufactured to produce, in which case you don’t get to force a mini speaker to function as a subwoofer or otherwise. And the fader helps to create a balance in the sound output of the system.
In very many cases, the size or design of the equalizer determines the placement.
Durability, MP3 input, illumination feature, RCA wiring, and mounting brackets.
We hope you found our best equalizer for car audio review interestingly helpful. You can check our article on installing equalizer, if you need it. If you have a comment, question or review of these equalizers, kindly drop it in the box below, we will be glad to hear from you.